Chairperson's Report - 2016 AGM - June 20th, 2016
- First & foremost, I would like to acknowledge our 2015/2016 Committee Members. Michelle Anthony, Mel Russell & Chantal Lennox have renominated for another term & I would like to especially acknowledge Michelle Anthony. Michelle has been our treasurer since the inception of Coffs Coast Autism & this year she is nominating as a general committee member. Thanks for all your hard work over the years Michelle.
- Following our June 2015 AGM, one of our first tasks as a committee was to officially decide what to do with the Autism Office. It had become difficult to man over the years and was being utilised mainly as a meeting room & storage space, particularly as so many of us have turned to Facebook and websites for information. With this, and the overheads involved in mind, we voted to close the physical office, sell unnecessary items & purchase a mobile so that our landline no. could be diverted to it. This has proved to be a successful move I believe and has since seen our resource library re-housed right here at Mid Coast Communities, storage space rented for our necessary items (such as banners, shelter, esky etc etc.) and a revamp of our website (thanks to Rowan Lennox for all his work on this new site).
- Our year consisted of many & varied events and activities, the most obvious & frequent of which have been our Meet & Share Morning Tea events which have been held monthly. Closing the office meant trying out some different locations for this event and it's now found a more permanent home at the Cavanbah Centre, which seems to be working out really well.
- We also held a Big Play Date at Park Beach Holiday Park in November 2015 and an Autism Awareness Day Family Picnic in April 2016.
- Our Facebook page continues to be an excellent source of information, knowledge and support and I would encourage you to visit the page regularly to maintain interest in it. It has allowed us to share information on our own events but also on relevant workshops etc being held locally (these include NDIS workshops, No Lights No Lycra events, Variety Club Xmas Party, Respite activities, It Takes a Village etc etc).
- We have taken part in a number of events this year, including the Living Well Expo in August 2015, Bendigo Bank Running Festival in September 2015 & LevelUp! in May 2016.
- We are also proud to have contributed to other projects which either come to fruition this year or are now looking very likely to go ahead. These include an ASPECT satellite class & the Playhouse Project and Lifehouse Church.
- We have also been fortunate to have been recipients of funds raised by others, including Rotary Club Coffs Harbour Daybreak who had representatives attend one of our committee meetings and donated $1,500, Village Sports who donated $4,000 of the proceeds from Bendigo Bank Running Festival to us & a birthday bash for one of our Mums, Penny Camp, raised $200 which she donated to us.
Thanks again to outgoing committee members and a hearty welcome to incoming members. I regret that, after 10 years on the committee, I will not be standing this year. It is obvious that there are now others who are much more energetic & passionate than I (traits I remember only too well) who can capably take the reins. I wish you all the very best in your future endeavours.
Coffs Coast Autism Chair